2012-08-21

My first podcast experience


So, yesterday I decided to see if there were any SE-podcasts available. Each day I spend 3 hours travelling to and from work so it would be perfect to spend that time doing something fun and fun for me means learning new stuff. Thus I googled around for a while and decided to start my venture with se-radio.net.

I found a podcast named E187 : Grant Ingersoll on the Solr Search Engine and picked that randomly. Turned out to be super interesting even though it's not inside my usual field. Basically it relates to "taming text" and making documents or any kind of text searchable [think wikipedia, amazon with it's products]. This is done using Lucene and Solr, a different kind of search engine that can be used in big or small applications as long as you have some kind of text in some kind of document-format that needs to be searchable.

It is open source and widely used.

Episode 187 - Grant Ingersoll on the Solr Search Engine

This was an awesome thing and I'll make sure to download a couple of more podcasts and load them to my phone so I have something to do at the train.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar